Drones are useful because they can go so high in the air while you direct them from a safe spot with both feet on the ground. Drone photography allows for some stunning aerial shots of landscapes or even more populated areas where you can see everything from a bird’s perspective. If you have been itching to get yourself into the drone photography arena, this article has the best drones for photography, so you will know which purchase to make next. We will compare the features, pros, cons, and prices of each drone, so you know which are the best drones for photography that you want to use.
Drone Photography FAQ
If you have a few questions about drone photography, that is natural and to be expected. Here we will answer some of the most common questions people have when getting started with their best drones for photography.
1. What Is Drone Photography?
Drone photography is pretty much what its name sounds like. Instead of taking the photo by holding your camera yourself, you use a drone to fly overhead and take photos from the sky. You can control the drone safely from the ground so that you still get amazing shots, but without putting yourself in danger. Drones capture views we would never otherwise get to see, which is what makes drone photography so appealing to people.
2. What Should I Consider When Purchasing A Drone For Photography?
There are many things you should consider when you are deciding between the best drones for photography. For one thing, you will have to consider flight time. Depending on what type of shots you want to get, this is important, and some models will have a better flight time than others. You will also want to know the distance that your drone can travel since that will affect what your shots end up looking like.
Naturally, you have to think a lot about the camera itself when purchasing the best drones for photography, just like you would if the camera was not in the drone. This means you will want to keep your eyes out on specs like the lens speed, depending on how many photos you are aiming for, and the resolution of the camera so that you can get clearer and sharper photos.
You should also pay attention to the camera matrix when searching for the drones for photography. You will want to shoot for no less than 1/2.3″, which is the standard, though 1″ is what you would prefer. The shutter on your camera will also affect your photos, and while most of them will likely be electronic, if you plan on taking photos of quickly moving objects, you may prefer models with mechanical shutters.
The last thing for you to consider when buying a drone for photography are the sensors. This is something you do not have to worry about with ordinary photography. Sensors ensure that your drone will be able to detect and avoid other objects so that you can stay away from collisions and damaging your drone.
3. Where Can You Buy The Best Drones For Photography?
You can purchase drones for photography at electronic stores such as Best Buy. If you prefer to order them online, you can also purchase them from Amazon or directly from the website of the brand you prefer.
How We Reviewed
To ensure we came up with an unbiased list of the best drones for photography, we went through countless articles all over the Internet. We read through editors’ picks, expert reviews, and even went through countless user reviews to make sure we knew the features of each item. We describe these features for you so that you can make an informed decision when it is time for you to buy one of the best drones for photography.
Overall Price Range
On the very lowest price range of these drones for photography, you can get a drone for around $300. On the other hand, at the very highest end, there is a drone for about $6200.
What We Reviewed
This quality drone comes with a stable 1 axis gimbal to make sure your photographs come out flawlessly. If you want, you can even pay to upgrade to a 3 axis gimbal for added stability. There are propellor protectors you can add to make sure your drone does not get damaged, and the flying time will make sure you can take all the photos you want. This drone can even automatically take off and come back to you for a very easy photography experience.
- Hasselblad 20MP / UHD 4K Gimbal Camera; 1" CMOS + f/2.8-f/11 Adjustable Aperture
- 10-Bit Dlog-M + 10-Bit HDR Video; OcuSync 2.0 Transmission Technology
- Up to 31 Minutes Flight Time; Omnidirectional Obstacle Sensing; Hyperlapse Time-Lapse Mode
- Top Speed of 44.7 mph; Enhanced HDR Photos with 14EV; Remote Controller Included
- Backed by DJI customer support - Includes Full DJI USA WARRANTY
This model is a favorite of many with all of the features you could ever desire, making it one of the best drones for photography. This drone is made for high quality capturing whether you are taking photos or recording video. The 20 mega-pixel camera will give you a crystal clear shot from above, while the 1080 pixel video means you will have high definition footage of anything you desire.
This drone also has up to 31 minutes of flying time, which is top of the line for a consumer drone on the market. Along with its super high speeds, this drone is capable of going fast and far for as long as you need for your photography projects. Best of all, it will do so quietly, since it also has low noise flight technology, unlike some other buzzy and loud drones.
- Intelligent Flight Modes Smart, reliable, and incredibly intuitive Quick Shot Videos with a Tap.
- Operating environment: Detects clearly patterned surfaces with adequate lighting (lux>15) and diffuse reflectivity (>20%).High-Performance Camera Amazing images and stabilized video Mechanical Gimbal Stabilization Shake-Free Shots
- Flight Performance Awesome potential, immersive experiences Powerful Propulsion Speed and Precision Control
- Flight Safety Worry-free flight in the palm of your hand ; Propeller guards are recommended when using these functions.
- 2-Axis Stabilized Gimbal Camera
This affordable drone for your photography projects helps to keep things simple for its user with lots of technological features. For instance, there are settings to help it automatically track what you want to get footage of, so you can still get a perfect shot from a ways away. There is also the ability for it to take off just by seeing your face, so you can be hands-off and keep it simple.
When you buy the separate remote control, you can also let this drone go to its fastest speed mode, as well as take photos hands-free using hand gestures. With all of these features, it can be simple for even the most amateur photographer to get a great shot.
- Compatible with 5.2K Gimbal Cameras; CineCore 2.0 Image Processing
- Supports CinemaDNG and ProRes Recording; Dual-Battery Design
- Accelerates to 50 mph in 4 Seconds; 58 mph Maximum Velocity
- Advanced Obstacle Sensing
- 2-Axis Stabilized FPV Camera
The DJI Inspire 2 is a fantastic choice for anyone who wants stability and high-quality photo and video, along with other features to create your best possible work. This quick drone was designed to reach up to 50 mph in just four short seconds, and it has an impressive fly time of up to 27 minutes. In addition, the duel battery ensures your drone does not get damaged. In case one battery dies while in flight, the second battery will kick in to make sure your drone can make it back to you safe and sound. Nobody wants one of the best drones for photography to crash and become damaged, so this feature is sure to comfort every user of this pricey, but professional, drone option.
- Works with Zenmuse Gimbals / Cameras - DJI A3 Flight Control System
- Works with Ronin-MX Gimbal - Controllable with DJI Go App
- Up to 33 Pound Total Take-Off Weight - Retractable Landing Gear
- Integrated Lightbridge 2 Support - Collapsible Design for Easy Transport
- Full HD 1080p Live Monitoring - Powers from Six Flight Batteries
This drone is perfect for anyone who wants to record HD quality of video from up to a whopping 3 miles away. No matter where you are, this high-quality drone can send the highest quality video you could want. Amazingly, if you have a lot of weight to carry, this drone can also carry up to 33 pounds when taking off. This is great for a professional who has a bunch of equipment to attach for the perfect shot.
For your convenience, this drone is at the top of the market in terms of how long it can stay in flight capturing footage. With up to 36 minutes of flying time, you do not have to worry about your batteries giving up on you right when things are important. Along with the max speed of 40 mph, this drone is made for both speed and longevity.
- DJI AUTHORIZED DEALER - Includes Full DJI USA WARRANTY
- DJI Mavic Air Quadcopter Drone - Onyx Black
- The ultraportable Mavic Air features high-end flight performance and functionality for limitless exploration, 32 MP Sphere Panoramas
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Drone - Remote Control - Intelligent Flight Battery - Charger - Power Cable - Propellers (Pair) x4 - Propeller Guards (set) - RC-to-Lightning Cable - RC-to-Micro USB Cable - RC-to-USB Type C cable - Gimbal Protector - Communication Cable - USB Adapter - RC Cable Sliders (Large & Small) - Carrying Case - Replacement Control Stick Pair - 1-Year Limited Warranty
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: DJI Mavic Air Quadcopter Drone (Onyx Black) - DJI MAVIC AIR Intelligent Flight Battery Mavic Air accessories - Deco Gear DJI Mavic Air Hardshell Backpack
This amazing drone is perfect if you are trying to capture breathtaking panoramas. Definitely one of the best drones for photography, this drone takes 25 photos and instantly stitches them together, forming a wide and immersive panorama photo for you. With phenomenal video capabilities, this drone can record video in 4K, crisp resolution. If you want more detailed slow motion video, you can still get that in 1080 pixel HD. If you have an interest in capturing nature, this is an ideal camera. It automatically adjusts based on lighting conditions so that no matter what, the photos will look bright and detailed without being over- or underexposed.
If you are trying to capture video of landscapes and long, beautiful spaces, this drone is great at getting high-quality footage without as high of a price tag as many other options. It is a steal considering the quality you can get with the DJI Mavic Air drone for photography.
- Capture 4K Video and 20MP Photos. 360-Degree Image and Video Capture. 3-Axis Sensor-Driven Image Stabilization
- Up to 1 Mile 2.4/5.8 GHz Wi-Fi Range. Flight Controller with 7" Touch Screen.
- Up to 30 Minutes of Flight Time.
- Intel RealSense Collision Avoidance. Intelligent Autonomous Flight Modes.
- Can Withstand Winds up to 35 mph. 5-Rotor Fail Safe Mode.
If you want an option to record video or take amazing stills without completely dumping out your wallet, this is a solid choice of a drone. It records in amazing 4K, ultra-high definition so that you have the best quality footage you can. Not just that, but the 4K camera actually is able to rotate in 360 degrees, so you can get high-quality footage in every direction.
With up to 25 minutes of flying time, this drone will be able to stay in the air for a while. This is great for the user because you can choose between different modes such as Orbit Me, where it will focus on you and move in a circle, or the Follow Me modes, where it will keep its focus on you even as you are in motion. Additionally, you can track other objects and focus on them. No matter which mode you choose, the options allow you to pay close attention to the shot instead of directing the camera the whole time.
This budget drone is great for getting the features you want out of a typical drone at a nice price. Though this does not come with any camera attached, it does come with mounting so that you can attach many cameras such as GoPro options. This drone also has a GPS, so you do not have to worry about losing it, and with a single press of a button, you can set the drone to go out and return back to you. This battery allows a flying time of up to about 20 minutes without any load added on, which is not the longest battery life on this list but is still really good for the price.
- Karma captures amazingly smooth GoPro footage in the air, handheld or body mounted
- The Karma Drone folds to fit into the included lightweight case Take it anywhere When you’re ready to fly, just unfold, attach the propellers and go
- The Karma Stabilizer captures breathtaking shake-free video both in the air and on the ground
- Remove the Karma Stabilizer and attach it to Karma Grip for ultra steady, professional-looking handheld shots
- Karma Grip works with GoPro mounts, including the built-in shoulder mount on the Karma Case, to deliver ultra steady body-mounted footage
The GoPro Karma is one of the best drones for photography for anyone who especially might have other GoPro equipment. This drone can attach to handheld equipment, so you can record on foot too; it even has the ability to mount to your body for another way or retrieving the footage. This drone can record in high definition 1080 pixel, and it takes up to 12 mp stills for clarity. Even if you are a beginner, GoPro made this drone easy for everyone to use. There is a simple one button take off, so it works automatically, and the game-like controller makes it intuitive for new users to figure out how to control their drone.
- Enhanced 14 megapixel fish-eye lens offers 1080p video recording and stunning image capture
- 25 minutes of flight time thanks to a powerful 2700 mAh battery
- Equipped with powerful motors for flight in greater altitudes
- Powerful rear flash LED for better visibility—even in the dark
- Requires registration with FAA. Visit their website for more info on how to register.
If you do not have the money to spend thousands on a drone, you can choose this budget option that is still easy to use for beginners. In fact, although the Parrot Bebop 2 Power does come with a controller, if you desire, you can actually connect it to your cell phone or tablet for control. The included app is easy to use, so you can just focus on getting a good shot and not have to play around with stubborn technology. With up to 25 minutes of flying time, you can set this drone on Follow Me mode and let it do the work for almost half an hour.
The Verdict – Best Drones For Photography
While all of these drones are sure to please photographers far and wide, we have determined that there is a best overall drone choice for most users. Out of these best drones for photography choices, we have determined the DJI Mavic Air to be the best overall drone. With its impressive 4K camera, it is hard to beat the amazing quality of footage you can get while recording video with this drone. Even in slow motion, you can still record footage in 1080 pixels, so no matter what kind of footage you seek, it will be ultimately high definition.
This drone also has a 3 gimbal axis, unlike many other options, which gives it the ultimate stability for making sure your footage is straight. Nobody wants to see the photos and video they took only to discover their drone was wobbling. Along with the algorithms this drone has, it will automatically adjust to make sure you have the best, most professional looking video or photo possible. If you are sick of taking photos only to find out they are too dark, and you didn’t fulfill your vision, this drone eliminates that problem by automatically adjusting exposure for low lighting conditions.
Though we were able to decide on an all-around choice out of these best drones for photography, we know that photographers will be searching for different specifications depending on the type of footage they seek. Some will need faster drones or longer battery times or high resolution. It also matters how much stability the drone has and its ability to automatically focus on targets while in the air. No matter which drone you ultimately decide is ideal for you, these best drones for photography will be sure to enhance your portfolio and give you a new, exciting way of capturing photos and video.